Monday, February 20, 2012

5 Reasons Why People Loose




Do you ever wonder why you lost all your money in that Texas Hold 'Em cash game? I bet you have, so this last week I went back and analysis anytime I had lost in the last month or two. These next 5 points is what I came up with.

  1. Not paying attention to betting habits.
    • Betting habits tell alot about a players hand. If someone calls a bet relatively quick, then they are not worried about what you have and are going to let you build the pot for them. On the other hand if they call a bet slowly, they might be chasing the turn and.or rive. So your next move should be a bigger raise to get them out unless a card comes up that your suspect to help their hand.
  2. Chasing the turn and/or river.
    • People are always thinking they are going to catch their hands with the next two cards. Unless you have an open ended straight draw or high flush draw don't chase hands. Never chase a "gut buster" which is a straight draw from the inside.
  3. Betting too aggressively
    • Some people problems are that they bet just to bet and try to take control of the hand. Not always possible. I'm not saying never bet, but you need to recognize when to do that.
  4. Not paying attention to tells.
    • I've noticed that when I loose a big hand it is because I failed to notice some very easy poker tells. So sharpen those observation skills and read a book about poker tells.
  5. Playing every hand.
    • This is another reason why beginner poker players loose. They think the more hands they play the better their odds of catching a  winning hand. This is generally true but the money it cost to see everyhand is not worth the profit gained by one winning hand. A true poker player picks and chooses their hands carefully.
If anyone has one of these problems and has trouble getting over it, feel free to comment and I can give some advice to get better at it. I am willing to hear as well on how to combat these issues too. So whether you have a problem or have a story how you got better, please comment and tell me about it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jeremie,
    I guess I now know why I was never any good at poker. I used to play all the time with my friends but never thought to analysis the situation. You bring up some good points, and I can say that I have done more than just one, of the five points you brought up. I wouldn't say I lost every hand I did win a couple times but in the long run I lost more than I won. To be honest I am sure that I was guilty of all five signs in most of the games. haha Well, thanks for the tips I will try and use them next time I play, we will see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you dpmover for following and responding. I find that most players usually don't know what went wrong when they loose. I still find myself sometimes doing one of those 5 things. If you really want to win more figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are when playing poker. You can do this by paying attention to your decisions and write them down to come back to later. After several games you'll quickly know where to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremie,
    I play poker with my friends on a regular basis and we've gotten to the point where we know each others betting habbits so we have to act differently to throw people off. Sometimes we bet early to get others to think that way. Poker is just a big mind game and the one who can play that mind game the best, usually wins.

    ReplyDelete