Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"CARO`S BOOK OF POKER TELLS" is a must read

For anybody who is lookng to improve there poker game, I highly recommend reading Mike Caro`s book, "CARO`S BOOK OF POKER TELLS." So in this blog this week I want to cover some of the tells given by Mike Caro.

So "Caro`s Great Law of Tells . . . Players are either acting or they aren't. If they  acting, then decide what they want you to do and disappoint them." (Pg 12, 2003) This law has great insight on how poker is looked at. People always talk about poker faces, well I think the truely great poker players don't need to have a poker face. Players in the game will always try to hide the truth about their cards. It's other players` job to read their own situations they come into contact with and decide what their best option is.

This next tell I have used in some pretty tough decisions in poker, especially when I might not have the best hand. "Caro`s Law of Tells #6 . . . A genuine smile means a genuine hand; a forced smile is a bluff." (Pg 95, 2003) So when I`m in a tough situation and my pot odds aren't exactly what they should be, I come up with something to say to get my opponent to smile about something. Then I judge their smile on how real or fake it was and make a decision based on that.

The last tell I want to talk about is, "Caro`s Law of Tells #14 . . . Players staring at their cards are usually weak." (Pg 74, 2003) I like this one because it doesn't just apply to the player`s but it applies to the community cards as well. They stare at the cards because they are looking for a better hand than what they have.

The last thing that is great about this book is that at the end of the book there is a quiz to see how much you have picked up from the reading. What I usually do is review this book before I play any tournaments. Please comment back for any feedback or other tells you would like share.


No comments:

Post a Comment